.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Deaconess, I want to serve my purpose

I found this message on my computer while cleaning my file and i remembered that i presented this message in MCAC way back in November 2010.  My purpose of posting is just to let you know the value of being a Deaconess. Enjoy reading.

Many women around the world are serving in every capacity they can. Whether they are Christians or non-Christians alike, our world’s history is replete of evidences that women are more conscious when it comes to serving others.

There are more than a thousand ways that show how women contribute to help uplift the lives of people around the world.  I have read documents and heard stories that highlights both the heroism and charity of women; and today, let me talk about some of the Adventist women in this church, particularly the Deaconess here at Manila Center Church.

It was 1982, when I first visited Manila Center Church, this visit eventually lead to my baptism in 1986.  I was impressed by Adventist women together with the leadership in this church working zealousness in doing their tasks.  Many of whom may be considered as an epitome of a model Christian woman, gracious women, a deaconess of the church.

Deaconesses are elected in a position with definite role to portray. The totality of their character is something that God desires us to have, a character that is worthy of our emulation. In this church, deaconess could be considered as your aunt, a family friend, teacher or a parent.

So, let me narrate what deaconesses are, and the works that they are doing to serve the brethren of our church.  I am enjoining everyone present this morning to listen carefully.
Deaconess, I want to serve my purpose
I am a spirit-filled woman of the church; member in good and regular standing; devoted, committed and dedicated; discreet and confidential; attends worship services, Bible Study, and prayer services regularly; a faithful tithe giver; and a woman who is sincere, dedicated to the service of the Master; of understanding nature, big heart, sharing what I have possessed with those in need.

I am a Deaconess. I am called to function according to God’s purpose.

I am not just a lovely lady in white who poured wine and water and kept Communion  linens and baptismal robes in their proper place.

I am a Deaconess and I am called to do noble tasks and these are:

To serve as greeter and usher during services in the church.
To help the pastor and other event leaders maintain the smooth operation of church meetings.
To take responsibility for the care and upkeep of church property including the oversight or actually doing janitorial works, repairs, grounds maintenance, interior decorating and minor renovations.
To take care for the security of the church, be vigilant for the comfort and safety of persons inside the church. This includes opening the church building(s) before meetings and locking the facility at the conclusion of activities.
To join with the pastor and elders in visiting church members
To assist in church baptisms both in the preparation of materials used, and in assisting the candidates.
To assist in the communion service by preparing the bread and setting up the table and all elements needed for the communion service and help facilitate the foot-washing service.
To care for my congregation by visiting and comforting the bereaved family in case of death, and by offering assistance in the form of meals, etc, and assisting in the repast.
To demonstrate how women could uplift the standard of orderliness and service in the church, I will encourage other women to do the same as I am doing. 

I am a Deaconess but to be called a Deaconess should not be only for those elected by the Church but for those women of the church who function as Deaconess.

I am a deaconess and now, we know that we can all be called a Deaconess. 


Annie

No comments: